Marache Point

By 1848, shipowners of Arichat had requested that a light be erected. As this was denied, the shipowners then requested permission to put up their own light. Permission was granted. In early 1850, a petition, signed by merchants, shipowners and others from the community, was sent to the Legislature. A short while later approval for the completion of the Isle Madame beacon light at the entrance to Arichat harbour was granted. Joseph Coste was the first lightkeeper at this light. As this building was not well constructed, a new square, wooden lighthouse, was erected in 1869. This lighthouse remained until 1949 when it was replaced by a lighthouse structure and a bungalow.

In May of 1970, the light station was unmanned. All buildings except the lighthouse tower were declared surplus. These buildings were quickly sold and removed from the property. In the fall of 1970, the name of the light was officially changed from Arichat Light to Marache Point Light.

Lightkeepers at Marache Point:
Joseph Coste(or DeCoste) 1851-1875
Christopher DeCoste 1875-1898
William LaVache 1898-1918
Micheal McGrath 1918-1928
Jeffery LeBlanc 1929-1950
Harry LeBlanc 1950-1970

An unfortunate event that is still clear in the memories of many inhabitants of Isle Madame happened on February 4, 1970. This was Canada’s first major oil disaster, the date when the tanker, Arrow, carrying Bunker C oil, ran aground on Cerberus Rock in Chedabucto Bay. Over 10,000 tons of fuel were spilled, causing much damage to the shoreline of Isle Madame and Chedabucto Bay, as well as to the marine ecosystem and the fisheries of these areas.