Grandique

The first lighthouse, a pole light, was established at Grandique in 1884. After the opening of the St. Peter’s Canal, Lennox Passage saw an increase in marine traffic. For safety reasons, lighthouses were established along the route. The first keeper was Daniel Clough. Due to erosion at the Grandique spit of land, the pole light was moved in 1900 and in 1906 a proper lighthouse was built. Storm damage caused the Grandique Point lighthouse to be moved for a second time. In the winter of 2010, the lighthouse was moved to its present location.

Guiding Lights of Isle Madame:  Grandique Point Lighthouse.

The last lightkeeper at Grandique was Stanley Forgeron who took over in 1960. In 1961 Forgeron became a caretaker as the light was delisted.

Lightkeepers at Grandique Point:
Daniel Clough 1884-1908
D A Kaulbach 1908-1909
C A Kaulbach 1909-1919
Charles Shannon 1909-1923
John Doiron
Henry Young
Melvin Shannon 1939-1960
Stanley Forgeron  1960-1961
Stanley Forgeron (as caretaker) 1961-1968